Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:00:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        bo@min.net (Brian Orbell)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install problem

Brian Orbell wrote,
> I have a ATAPI CD ROM Drive and am trying to install a new version of
> freeBSD onto my computer.  I can not get past the step of installing from
> which source (cd rom being my source) because it does not recognize my cd
> rom drive.  In the options menu for model of cdrom there is no option for a
> ATAPI CD ROM drive.  I have just purchased this copy of freebsd off your
> web site so it is the latest version.  I thank you for any support you can
> offer.

ATAPI CDROMs are always IDE CDROMs, if I am not mistaken. Your CDROM
should be found during the probe of the IDE controllers. People have
reported problems finding CDROMs with atypical IDE setups (e.g. a
CDROM on the secondary controller as a slave, but with no device as
master). How is yours set up?