Date:      25 Jun 2000 20:19:35 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@no-spam.citeweb.net>
To:        "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
Cc:        clefevre@citeweb.net, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic running linux binaries from ext2fs

"Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com> writes:

> > how is mounted your linux filesystem ?
> > is it mounted to /linux or to /compat/linux ?
> > if /linux, do you have a symlink like /compat/linux -> /linux ?
>
> I use the linux_base-6.1 port, which installs some 57 Meg on
> /compat/linux.  But all that's on /usr, a UFS partition.
>
> My machine dual boots between Linux and Freebsd, so the Linux
> partitions are on a different slice.  I mount Linux's / partition on
> /mnt, usually read-only to reduce the number of fsck's after each
> panic.
>
>   # Device       Mountpoint    FStype   Options      Dump    Pass#
>   /dev/da0s1     /mnt          ext2fs   ro,noauto    0       0
>
> > how do you run your linux application ?
> > /linux/bin/whatever or /compat/linux/bin/whatever ?
>
> I'm not running the binaries in /compat/linux.  I cd to /mnt/bin
> (Linux's /bin) and run ./ls.

I guess the problem is here. if the Linux binaries aren't branded,
and not run from /compat/linux, FreeBSD run them in the FreeBSD
kernel space, not the Linux kernel space. since the syscalls are
differents...

> > /linux/bin/whatever may failed if not branded to Linux,
> > while /compat/linux/bin/whatever should work.
> > try "brandelf -t Linux /linux/bin/whatever" before to run /linux/bin/whatever
> > and make the symlink /compat/linux to /linux if it doesn't exists.
>
> I haven't branded them because I wasn't sure how Linux would react to
> the brand.  Besides, it doesn't seem to have trouble identifying that
> they are Linux binaries.  But I'll try the experiment tomorrow and
> report if there's any difference.

what says "brandelf /mnt/bin/ls" ? is there the Linux keyword somewhere ?
if no, you probably need to brand them or don't complain.

> All good ideas that could cause emulation to fail, but I don't see
> where they would cause a panic.

why don't you mount your Linux partition on top of /compat/linux ?
so, you don't need to have the linux-base port installed. and all
should work fine.

> P.S. I know I announced this to both -emulation and -fs, but let's
> restrict the follow-ups to one or the other, probably -emulation.

fu2 freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG

Cyrille.
--
home:mailto:clefevre@no-spam.citeweb.net Supprimer "no-spam." pour me repondre.