Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:33:43 -0600
From:      "Aaron Wohl" <freebsd@soith.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, "FreeBSD Stable List" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Maxtor Firewire Drives

The maxtor 5000xx series does not work on 4.7 or 5.0 for all variations
of stable/currrent/standard.  This is for USB1 USB2 and firewire.  Tested
with many different usb and firewire controllers.  Newing a newfs on usb2
 on one of these disks with 5.0 (4.7 doesnt support usb2) crashes the os
with a bad page fault every time.  Under firewire the OS doesnt really
recognize them as disks and get them fully mounted.

Some of the older enclosers you add your own drive to kind of work with
firewire.  However id advise you do transfer some large files (say
200megabyte) to the disk make many copies then check the md5 checksums.
Also check the dmesg logs.  The other enclosures I tried worked ok for
smaller files but go timeouts and trashed data on largers files.

The adaptec fireconnect and universal (usb2+firewirecards) seem to work
fine by themselfs.  All of controller cards seemed ok. Its just something
messed up with using them for disks.

Tests where conducted on 4.7 (standard,stable), 5.0 (standard, current)
using a 120gb maxtor DV5000 a 250gb maxtor DV5000, and ADS enclosure with
a maxtor disk added to it, a USB2 enclosure "USB2.0 slim its labled" from
compusa.  This with 5 different computers (various motherboards).

We ended up going with tape backups.