Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:36:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, questions@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Intel Atlantis problems

> > You are running a Mach or similar video system that references
>
> Right, it's a Mach64
>
> > port 2e8, even though it isn't supposed to unless the video is
> > put into a particular IBM compatible mode.  The video is broken.
> >
> > 2e8 is com4.  You can modify the sio.c and rebuild a kernel
> > that won't probe it after you have installed.
>
> Thanks. Isn't this something that should go in the FAQ ? Or perhaps,
> could we remove 0x2e8 from
>
>     static Port_t likely_com_ports[] = { 0x3f8, 0x2f8, 0x3e8, 0x2e8, };
>
> in /sys/i386/isa/sio.c ?

That's the hack.

As to your idea, no.  We should identify the Mach cards, or we should
relax the invasiveness of the SIO probe code to prevent the problem.

Either will fix the problem without screwing those of us who have
a com4 and have avoided buying Mach hardware because of this bug
in the Mach chips.

Someone should contact Mach, if they are thinking about it (since I
don't have a Mach, it's not my problem.  8-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.