Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2019 12:27:04 +0100
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   using CPUTYPE?= with poudriere jails

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

Hi,

I've been trying to use CPUTYPE?=3D with certain poudriere jails.
My reasoning being that it should be better (more efficient?) making a
targeted binary especially when the target is a cpu that doesn't have a lot=
 of
processing power comparitively.

I'm not at all certain if my reasoning is correct though, so can anyone
advise? Or is it not worth it for the performance gained?  (in which case w=
hy
have the option at all?)

Anyway, I was surprised to find that if CPUTYPE?=3Dbtver1 was used in a
poudriere make.conf for a freebsd 12.1 jail on a=20
sandybridge host (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 0 @ 2.90GHz) (also running
12.1), that some ports would not compile, like python36 and lzo2.

If I run a poudriere jail configured the same way on the same freebsd versi=
on
but on a system which is Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz and is a
haswell host, the same programs compile without error.

Is this expected and, if so, why?

thanks,
--=20
J.