Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 09:47:39 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   stability & nvidia drivers?

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

Hi,

I finally got around to trying out the nvidia binary drivers on my
GeForce 3 Ti 200. Here are my notes/results:

- first I had to move cards / fix my bios settings so that the NVidia
  card wasn't sharing an IRQ with my network driver, otherwise when
  starting X it would lock up hard.
- then, when using the NVidia AGP drivers, I would see a garbled
  text screen when starting X. The machine would respond to the network,
  but I was unable to restore the console to a valid state.
- I then recompiled the NVidia drivers to use the FreeBSD AGP driver.
  After that X started OK, and glxinfo says:

  [stijn@pcwin002] <~> glxinfo | grep direct
  direct rendering: Yes

  Which (to me) looks like things are working.
- however, about 1 out of 3 times things actually work. When running
  xscreensaver GL hacks (which are the only GL programs I have on this
  machine), I need to start them about 3 times before they actually
  run. The rest of the time they dump core. The same happens with glxinfo,
  sometimes it runs, sometimes I get the following:

  [stijn@pcwin002] <~> glxinfo
  name of display: :0.0
  zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  glxinfo

Anyone getting any better results? Is there something I can do to fix
this? The drivers are of no use to me if they are this unreliable.
More info available on request, of course.

--Stijn

--=20
The sexual urge of the camel is stranger than anyone thinks.
He's lived for years on the desert, and tried to seduce the Sphinx.
But the Sphinxs center of pleasure lies buried deep in the Nile,
which accounts for the hump on the camel and the Sphinxs inscrutable smile.
		-- Frantic Fran, http://www.franticfran.com/jokes.htm

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o

--IS0zKkzwUGydFO0o--