Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 10:07:13 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Howard Stacey)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Julian Howard Stacey stands accused of saying:
> Announcing availability of Phil Cockcroft's Basic V2.0 + my ports wrapper,
> for FreeBSD-current.

Great!

> Note from Makefile:
>
> MAINTAINER=     jhs@freebsd.org
> # I don't know the relative merits of pbasic & bwbasic, I don't use Basic.
> # I'm merely providing this port wrapper after request for a FreeBSD basic,
> # (last week there were no Basics, now there are two).

This is ftp://ftp.eng.umd.edu/pub/basic/README :

----
This directory contains the source to three BASIC interpreters written
in C.

Bywater BASIC supports a fairly rich set of commands and is cleanly
and portably written.  It also compiles under DOS.  However, it is not
optimized for speed.

UNM BASIC is faster and supports integer variables and "mat" commands.
However, it lacks block structuring commands, user defined functions,
and "print using".  One module is written in Fortran.

Phil's BASIC is in between the others in features.  It has portability
problems with data alignment on RISC machines.
----

We now have Bywater Basic and Phil's Basic in the ports collection; I
can't see any reason to add the UNM basic as well; any other takers?

> Julian

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[