Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:14:46 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS, rsync and WWW too (Was: Statistics for FreeBSD FTP and CVSup mirrors)

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:16:03AM +0400, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, 17:07+1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
>
> > Please note that I've added checks for the contents of DNS, rsync,
> > and the WWW mirrors too at http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/.
> >
> > With these six points of data I'm able to give everything some kind
> > of score and euhm... the mirror system needs a broom, some sandpaper
> > and a nice layer of paint.
>
> Nice work indeed.  There is a feature request: it it possible to
> record a timestamp of the latest successfull connect to www|ftp etc
> and show it when connection fails?  E.g. ftp.ru.freebsd.org refuses
> connection but it is not clear since when.

It changed between:
http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ftp-stats-iso-cc.php?country=ru&date=2008-08-26
and
http://www.mavetju.org/unix/freebsd-mirrors/ftp-stats-iso-cc.php?country=ru&date=2008-08-27

> I failed to find a status of rsync mirrors, e.g. ftp2.ru.freebsd.org.

That is because they don't have DNS names for them:

=========================== 8< =================================
The hostnames are determined once per week in the following ways:

* For domains which DNS servers do allow zone-transfers, I check for the hosts which start with ftp*, rsync*, cvsup* etc.
* For domains which DNS servers do not allow zone-transfers, I check for the existence of hosts named ftp, ftp[1-19], cvsup, cvsup[1-19], rsync, rsync[1-19] etc.

The time-warp thing is something I still haev to figure out how to
best visualize it.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org