Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:37:29 +1000
From:      Guy Ellis <guy@traverse.com.au>
To:        Sergio de Souza Prallon <prallon@tmp.com.br>
Cc:        chris@aims.com.au, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetJet-S and DOV

Hi Sergio,

Long time no speak - I hope all is well.

The Ascend problem is not quite as bad as it was. Ascend has about 30% of
the Access Server Market, and this is declining.

In most capital cities, it is possible to find an ISP (non Ascend) that
supports 64k DOV, so a DOV version that works at 64k/128k only, will still
be useful. Infact our latest Windows drivers no longer support 56k! All
that is required is to change a few bytes in the Bearer Capability (BC) of
the setup message. I have a hard coded version to do this, but what is
really needed is some way to select the BC from the configuration files.

I'm more than happy to make this hard coded version available to anyone who
wants it.

As you will have realised we have done no other work on your FreeBSD code
:( Unfortunately there wasn't much interest from local FreeBSD community
(except for Rod Seacombe), so we've put it in the too hard basket. We use
our External serial product to service this market.

Cheers,

  - Guy.

At 14:06 17/10/01 -0200, you wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 12:25:52PM +1100, Chris Knight wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > We're looking at using the NetJet-S in some FreeBSD servers, but
> > unfortunately the driver according to Traverse's Website doesn't support
> > data-over-voice (DOV). What would be required to add DOV capability? I'm
> > happy to write the code, I'm just not sure where to start.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chris Knight
> > Systems Administrator
> > AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
> > Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
> > Web: http://www.aims.com.au
> >

>Hi,
>
>I wrote this driver for my personal use here in Brazil. Here, the ISDN
>B-channels are 8-bit clean. If I understand Traverse's tech staff, DOV
>consists in declare in the call-setup (in the D-channel) packet that
>you want the B-channel to be Voice Capable instead of Data Capable. That
>was because of diferent charge prices made by some of the Telcos.
>Unfortunately, most of the terminal servers in use in Australia are Ascend
>and they have a `feature' that if they receive a Voice call, they only
>take 7 out of every 8 bits of the traffic (because Voice in America is
>sampled with 7 bits) EVEN IF THEY CARRY HDLC FRAMED DATA.
>
>So, the DOV capability would be to be able to call a given phone number
>setting the Bearer type to Voice (something to be hacked in the layer3
>and isdnd I think) and select to operate in 7 or 8 bit HDLC. That would
>require a new version of the HDLC_ENCODE and HDLC_DECODE macros in
>i4b_hdlc.h that were able to work with 8bit bytes but with a payload of
>7bits. This, I think is the hard part: these macros were very cleverly
>designed by the previous IHFC author. They are very fast and lean, but
>are somewhat hard to fiddle with. May be you can start with a trivial,
>a-bit-at-a-time version of them (like the Linux driver do) to have the
>project going, and then, after having all the rest up and running, try
>to patch the original HDLC macros.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>--
>Prallon