Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 07:55:21 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      "Alain FAUCONNET" <af@biomath.jussieu.fr>
To:        piesik@cs.put.poznan.pl (Piotr Piesik)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with 4 MB VRAM Diamond Stealth

Piotr Piesik wrote / a ecrit:

> hi :)
>

> I have a 4 MB VRAM Diamond Stealth (2 MB on board and 2 MB expansion
> from Kingston, designed for Diamond Stealth VRAM).

[I'm  not  sure  this  belongs  to  freebsd-hardware  or  to the  XFree86
lists/groups]

I have the "video VRAM" (series 3400) variant. I might  be  the  same,
I'm kind of lost into Diamond's changing model names. It has  4Mb  too
(all of Diamond origin)

> All possible 2MB or less video modes (for example 1024x768x64k)
> are working fine. But all 4MB modes (for example 1024x768x16M
> or 1280x1024x64k) are not.

It works fine for me in all modes including those using 4Mb.

> There are vertical stripes on the screen, some fonts are garbaged,
> some random color pixels appear on white surfaces...
>
> I'm using 2.1.0 Release, with its default XFree86.

That  may be an issue, you really should get the 3.1.2E server (latest
beta available last time I checked) from any XFree86 archive.
Also,  the  S3  server has a "slow_vram" option you might want to try.
Maybe your add-on memory has marginal timings which require driving it
in a more conservative mode.

> This hardware works correctly under Windoze.
>
> Does anyone have a solution?
> Or at least any experience with other 4 MB cards, especially
> ATI Mach64?

My  only experience is that I returned the only such card I had bought
a  few months ago and changed it for a Diamond Stealth, being unable to
run XFree86 on it. The situation might have changed since then.

Good luck,
_Alain_
--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE