Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:16:53 -0800
From:      scott worley <folokai@earthlink.net>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where is /etc/X11 in XFree 4.2 port?

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:57:13 +1200
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 02:50:41PM -0800, scott worley wrote:
snip
> > Did the files present in /etc/X11 get moved?  Every time I have tried to build XFree 4.2 there are no config files in /etc/X11.
> >

> Only XF86Config now lives in /etc/X11. Everything else is in
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.
> --
> Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
>                         "Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive."
>                                                       - Ferris Bueller
Thanks Jonathan,

I put XF86Config in /usr/X11R6/libX11 and X starts.  My next problem to solve is I build it with the beta Matrox driver and it will only do 640x480.  I've got DRI enabled in XF86Config but the log shows DRI is failing.  It's looking for /dev/dri/card0, card1, etc.  All I have is the /dev/dri directory which is empty.  After searching through XFree 4.2.0 source I found in ../hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/drm/kernel/drm_drv.h the line CDEV_MAJOR 145.  Made a /dev/dri/card0 145 0 node but X still chokes on DRI with the same error.

scott
folokai@earthlink.net