Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:33:42 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Port/package upgrade checker

Folks,

[Not on -ports, please CC replies to me]

Does anyone know of a program that'll run through /var/db/pkg and produce
a report of installed packages that have got a newer version in the
ports INDEX file?

I just cobbled together something to do this, and it produces a report
that looks like this (on my system);

XFree86-contrib-3.3.1 -> 3.3.3
        pkg_delete XFree86-contrib-3.3.1
        cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-contrib
        make install
cvsup-15.4 -> 15.4.2
        pkg_delete cvsup-15.4
        cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup
        make install
ddd-2.2.3 -> 3.1.1
        pkg_delete ddd-2.2.3
        cd /usr/ports/devel/ddd
        make install
docproj -> 1.0
        pkg_delete docproj
        cd /usr/ports/textproc/docproj
        make install
dotfile-2.0 -> 2.2
        pkg_delete dotfile-2.0
        cd /usr/ports/misc/dotfile
        make install

If this sort of tool doesn't exist, would anyone else find it useful? If
so, I'll turn it into a port and commit it.

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .