Date:      Thu, 06 Apr 95 10:04:00 PDT
From:      Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
To:        "'.freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   950322 Installation questions

I've just installed 950322-SNAP on the 486DX33 PC with 16MB or RAM. I used
the standard installation procedure to install the kernel from floppies and
the bin distribution via FTP from local machine running FreeBSD 2.0-RELEASE.

I have noticed a couple of strange things.

1. Although I answered all questions about IP address, host name, domain,
default gateway and the name server, /etc/sysconfig file appeared unmodified
after installation. The system was unable to determine the host name. It
found the IP address and netmask though, since they are specified in
/etc/hostname.ed0 file (correct me if I'm wrong). After all, I just sat and
edited /etc/sysconfig manually.

2. If I do not create the separate partition for /var using disklabel, it is
not being created, and several processes including sendmail, complain about
that.
I created the partition, and manually created /var/spool/mqueue. I have not
tested sendmail yet so I'm not sure if this works.

3. After all these modifications, system still complains about being unable
to bind to some name in the beginning of the netstart process. I have no
clue what the hell this about.

I have not seen all these problems when using 950202-SNAP. Can someone
enlighten me somehow about this. What's wrong? Otherwise I'm really happy
with FreeBSD. Great job, guys. Thanks.

Serge       splyaski@cmp.com