Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 1995 21:20:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@warlock.win.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   re: majordomo & perl

I have set up a few of the perl things (majordomo, ftpmail, gopermail) ect.

The biggest problem seems to be in the file locking mechanism that each of
these packages seem to use.  The lockf code in perl seems to be bogus:

eval.c:

	if (fp) {
	    argtype = (int)str_gnum(st[2]);
	    value = (double)(flock(fileno(fp),argtype) >= 0);
	}

	value returns 1 if the lock is ok.  some perl code I have expects
	a zero return if the flock is ok.  it is an easy change but I don't
	know enough about perl's innards to suggest everybody fix it :-)

ftpmail used fcntl with 32 bit off_t's for locks.  This is also a slight
problem in the freebsd world.  I nearly have the latest majordomo in the
air so it is not a big deal.

Good Luck

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net