Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 09:35:33 -0400
From:      Craig Struble <cstruble@quirk.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        cstruble@vt.edu, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/616: make install target in ports ignores NO_PACKAGE

On Fri, July 14, 1995 at 15:04:07 (-0700), Satoshi Asami wrote:
 >  * I'm testing a port build and install without packaging information
 >  * available? The make complains and dies with an error. Earlier versions
 >  * of the bsd.port.mk files honored the NO_PACKAGE for installs. At least,
 >  * it did for pre-2.0.5 SNAPS (I distinctly remember doing this for a
 >  * few ports I grabbed off the FTP site because the package commands failed).
 >
 > That was considered a mistake.  I didn't know there was somebody who
 > liked the old behavior. ;)

Given an infinite number of FreeBSD users (or close to it), there will
be somebody who likes any old behavior, good or not :-)

 > Remember, not having pkg/* files is not allowed for any port
 > (NO_PACKAGE or not), so those ports are broken and have to be fixed.
 > And for testing broken ports, we usually recommend "make -i". :)

Ahh. I did not know pkg files were required. Makes a little more sense
now, although I'd still prefer a variable so I could turn off
registering a port if I want to. It's not that important though, and I
can make due (I do have the source after all).
	See ya later,
		Craig
--
Craig Struble - Grad Student, Consultant, | World's most versatile C program
Student ACM Co-President, Virginia Tech   | (*nix version)