Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:57:32 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@aims.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI Errors...

Howdy,

I've got an Infortrend IFT3102 with a 3-channel U2W daughterboard. One of
the channels has decided to start running the following error:

(da0:0:ahc0:0:0:0): parity error detected in Data-in phase. SEQADDR (0x168)
SCSIRATE (0x93)

I've got the channel clocked at 40MHz. Clocking the channel back to 33MHz or
20MHz appears to work OK (several hours tested only), but clocking it
straight back to 40MHz results in the above error immediately after the
"Waiting for SCSI devices to settle" message.
Cable replacement and different ASUS P2B-S motherboards attached to the
channel make no difference. Just to be sure, I popped the disk array from
the other IFT3102 and restored the NVRAM settings from the array. Sure
enough, the logical disk mapped to channel #3 failed with the above error
message when clocked at 40MHz. All logical disks have FreeBSD 4.1 installed
to them.
I don't expect anyone to be able to fix this problem. My guess is there's a
timing issue between the host controller and the channel controller - enough
for the host controller to see the data across the SCSI bus as garbage. I'd
be interested in hearing from people with lots of SCSI experience whether
controllers "turning bad" is a common event or not.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
AIMS Independent Computer Professionals
Tel: +61 3 6334 6664  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.aims.com.au