Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 21:24:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Howard Leadmon <howardl@account.abs.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging Kernel/System Crashes, can anyone help??

> > OK, well as I don't remember what options had been in what kernel
> > from the old crashes, I just setup the machine to generate more
> > crash dumps and sure enough it was willing to give me one
> > quickly.. :)
> >
> > Here is a backtrace done on the dump I got only a few minutes ago,
> > also please note that currently I am using a DEC based network card
> > instead of the EEpro adapter as I had both sitting around.  If it
> > would be better to try and get the dumps with the EEpro I am sure it
> > can be arranged. Also note that I am currently running SMP, but did
> > remove one CPU and built a non-SMP kernel to see what happened, and
> > still the machine dies..
>
> > ---
> > #0  0xc013abd1 in boot ()
> > (kgdb) back
> > #0  0xc013abd1 in boot ()
> > #1  0xc013af94 in poweroff_wait ()
> > #2  0xc02283cc in trap_fatal ()
> > #3  0xc022805d in trap_pfault ()
> > #4  0xc0227c57 in trap ()
> > #5  0xc01cdca5 in acquire_lock ()
> > #6  0xc01d2f7c in softdep_count_dependencies ()
> > #7  0xc01d624c in ffs_fsync ()
> > #8  0xc01d4d66 in ffs_sync ()
> > #9  0xc01673ef in sync ()
> > #10 0xc013a9b3 in boot ()
> > #11 0xc013af94 in poweroff_wait ()
> > #12 0xc02283cc in trap_fatal ()
> > #13 0xc022805d in trap_pfault ()
> > #14 0xc0227c57 in trap ()
> > #15 0xc017246b in bpfioctl ()
> > #16 0xc01c19 in ?? ()
> > cannot read proc at 0
> > (kgdb)
>
> Interesting.  That explains the splbio, anyway.  The real problem is
> at frame 15, in bpfioctl, but the system trapped while trying to sync
> before dumping.
>
> As mentioned in the handbook, you need symbols in your kernel in order
> to find out any more information.  Build a kernel with the -g option
> and try again.
>
> Greg

 Umm, the kernel was built with the -g option, as I knew I needed to be
able to debug it when it crashed.  I looked at the handbook, but I don't
personally see a clear direction as to where I need to go from here.  If
you can tell me what to look for I am more than willing to go digging..

---
Howard Leadmon - howardl@abs.net - http://www.abs.net
ABSnet Internet Services - Phone: 410-361-8160 - FAX: 410-361-8162