Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:32:45 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org" <embedded@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: New AP: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v2

On 23 March 2015 at 12:20, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:
> On 3/15/2015 6:47 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I decided to port to the TP-LINK 1043nd v2, since I did the v1 port
>> and it seems only fitting to also port to the v2 platform.
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/mips/TL-WR1043NDv2
>

> Hi,
>         These scripts look really cool and I am anxious to try them out.  I
> read through the tftp netboot part and will try that first.  But once you
> verify the image, is there a way you can skip the tftp boot portion and just
> upgrade the hardware to the FreeBSD image through the web interface ?
> i.e.
>
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  -  6094100 Mar 23 14:30 kernel.TL-WR1043NDv2
> -r-xr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  - 19583698 Mar 23 14:30
> kernel.TL-WR1043NDv2.symbols
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  -  4449792 Mar 23 14:30
> mfsroot-tl-wr1043ndv2.img.ulzma
> -rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  -  5891584 Mar 23 14:30
> tl-wr1043ndv2.factory.bin
>
> i.e. can I just upgrade the unit with tl-wr1043ndv2.factory.bin through the
> web interface  ?

maybe? :) I haven't tried it.

But once you've done that, the only way to update is to reflash it via
tftpboot and the manual instructions posted on the wiki page.

Also - I see you've built it as root. You very explicitly do not have
to build it as root. You can build it as user - just make /tftpboot
writable by you. (I'm going to soon shuffle it so it doesn't land in
/tftpboot but in ../images or something, so it's 100% kept inside the
build directory.

I do 100% of my image building as user 'adrian' nowdays. It makes the
foot shooting possibilities much less risky.

-adrian