Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 01:04:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Olaf=20Hoyer?= <ohoyer@yahoo.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sftp scp musings

Hi all,

well, I am in the progress of tightening up internal
servers security thingies, and I wanted to try whether
scp or sftp for my users instead of plain old ftp.

Problem: My users in my department are mosty working
under Windoze, repectively do not know how to operate
a commandline, they only acept things that have a
point-and-click-interface ;-((

(Yeah, stupid ones... But moving them to a webserver
with some tradeoffs is better wo work under winblows
with about 5 Gig of historically grown data (before I
was employed) and being 3 Gig of them macrohorrified
Excel/Word crap...

So, anyway, for windows a nice GUI client (WinSCP) is
available, which does nicely under FreeBSD (tested
with 4.3 and 4.4), running smooth with a tcsh and
bash.
(WinSCP manual states that bash is required) Under
RedHat 7.2, only bash will work, tcsh gives bad
hickup...

Ok, I discovered some sftp-clients for Win32, but
alsofar are console, so they are not acceptable for my
users...

Does anyone knows of a GUI sftp-capable client, or
another win32-gui method of encrypted file transfer?

Or does anyone has some idea of whacking scp into some
usability for virtual hosting (Apache with virtual
hosting enabled will run on our web-server)?
I'm afraid not, since scp needs a real user with a
valid login shell...

TIA
Olaf Hoyer

=====