Date:      Sun, 4 Sep 2016 20:33:52 +0300
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Frederic Chardon <chardon.frederic@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org,  freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Regression with revision 303970 (was kern.proc.pathname failure while booting from zfs)

On 04/09/2016 17:51, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> It is only masked when name cache has an entry for the vnode.  So sometimes
> vn_fullpath() should be broken even if no normalization is applied.

Yes, this is true.

> OTOH, classic filesystems like UFS do not have any other means to translate
> non-directory inode to name and parent at all, except the namecache hint.

In fact, this is true for ZFS as well.  While ZFS znodes have an attribute that
specifies a (single) parent, it's obviously unreliable for files, because a file
can be linked into multiple directories and then unlinked from a directory
specified by the attribute.

So, at the moment I do not have any good ideas on how to make this work.
Maybe trying to use the parent attribute and failing when it's inconsistent
would be good enough...

--
Andriy Gapon