Date:      28 Sep 1995 22:51:34 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Simple way to kill PPPD

knarf@camelot.de (Frank Bartels) writes:

>Network Coordinator (nc@ai.net) wrote:

>> Still doesn't solve the problem of 100% CPU utilization, but we'll see
>> about that.

>Remove the proxyarp option or replace pppd with the latest (2.2b3?) version.

ppp-2.2 has been "officially released", however it doesn't compile or
run on any of the FreeBSD 2.x releases or snapshots without some
fiddling with the code.  Even then, depending on which version you're
running, it may not work reliably due to improvements in the kernel
tty subsystem.

However, all is not lost.  I have a version that is running on my
-current system, but it is taking advantage of some
hacks^H^H^H^H^Hchanges to other parts of the kernel to try to decouple
the network and tty layer from un-necessary blocking of each other,
while still maintaining coherent protection of subsystems like the mbuf
allocator...  It's non-trivial, but since ppp-2.2 wont be imported
into the tree until after 2.1-stable is released, I've got time to
work on it.  If it can't be made to work, then it'll just go in the
old way.

Cheers,
-Peter