Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 23:27:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark Yeck" <y3k@gti.net>
To:        anthony@atkielski.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Record uptime for a FreeBSD system?

> I was just wondering:  What is the highest uptime anyone has ever seen
> on a FreeBSD system?  I assume it is several years, but what's the
> longest time that anyone has actually verified (by looking at system
> status or some other report that actually spells out the uptime, and
> marking it down for posterity)?

I actually hate to admit this, but I attended a party this summer to
celebrate the nerd-metric kiloday (1024 days) uptime of my friend's server.
I think it died of a power supply failure some two or three months later. If
I remember correctly, it was a 486dx2/66 running freebsd 2.2.5 or something.
I believe it was running dns and low volume email and web servers for
multiple domains. I can probably get more details if anyone is terribly
interested.

Uptimes.net used to keep an all time list of longest uptimes, as well as
current longest uptimes. Unfortunately they have stopped doing any of that.

-mark