Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 23:32:54 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 patches -- update

> >I found another problem with pre-alpha patches.  It may be a
> >Motif-side problem.  I'm building JDK with Motif-2.1.20 by Software2Go
> >and found the awt doesn't work.  To write more precicely, the Motif
> >library I use needs libXp linked with, but current JDK patches doesn't
> >so.  I don't know whether this problem appear with another Motif or
> >Lesstif.  This can be simply resolved by adding -lXp in OTHER_LDLIBS
> >line at build/freebsd/sun/awt/GNUmakefile:
>
> >OTHER_LDLIBS = -lmlib_image$(SUFFIX) $(LIBCXX) $(JVMLIB) -lXm -lXp -lXt -lXext -lXtst -lX11 -lm
>
> I needed to do the same for Metro Link Motif-2.1.10.

Lesstif doesn't require this (there is no libXp :).  It sounds like a
compile switch for make is needed.  I'm unsure which way to jump with
this in terms of the default.  Maybe as there are a number of commercial
Motif implementations the correct switch is for Lesstif.  That is, make
-lXp the default, to be ignored if you do "make LESSTIF=1 world" maybe.
Thoughts?

> >If I link libXp.so into libawt.so, sample programs seem to work at
> >least for a few minutes.  Some minutes after, programs went away ;-<
> >I think current porting have some serious problems on multi-threading
> >support.  But at this time, I don't know those precicely.
>
> I don't get that far. I can run some of the demo applets, but all of
> the JFC demos give errors. The one from Metalworks is:
>
> Unexpected error.
> Program Terminated
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Raster ShortInterleavedRaster: width = 64 height = 64 #numDataElements 1 is incompatible with ColorModel DirectColorModel: rmask=7c00 gmask=3e0 bmask=1f amask=0

I have tried Metalworks successfully previously, but not with the current
set of patches.

> I have spent this morning editing font.properties to work with the URW
> fonts. I will post it if people are interested.

Definitely.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083