Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2005 18:30:08 -0600
From:      Eric F Crist <ecrist@secure-computing.net>
To:        Matthew Smith <matt@kbc.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Installation Issues

On Nov 6, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Matthew Smith wrote:
> I've just had a look through /var/log/messages and have spotted some
> lines that may be relevant:
>
> {timestamp} kernel: re0: couldn't map ports/memory
> {timestamp} kernel: rl0: couldn't map ports/memory
> {timestamp} kernel: pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 8.0 (no driver
> attached)

Well, the second line there, referencing rl0 is indeed the Realtek
driver for the network card.  The error, on the other hand, is
something I'm not familiar with.

Reading through the archives, I see the following link:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-December/
067477.html

In this post, this excerpt seems to apply:

[QUOTE]
I upgraded my laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook C4355) to 5.3 this week,
and had the same problem. My card started working when i disabled
ACPI. I
don't have a sufficiently pointy hat to tell you _why_ this happened...
It shouldn't be like that, separate parts of the system, mumble grumble,
but in the spirit of empirical observation: It Worked For Me.
[/QUOTE]

HTH

-----
Eric F Crist