Date:      Wed, 03 May 2000 13:19:05 -0400
From:      "Charles N. Owens" <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>, Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 1:55 AM -0400 2000/5/3, spork wrote:
>
> >  Last I looked though, vinum cannot protect you from loss of your boot
> >  device.
>
>         I am told that in FreeBSD 4.0, vinum now has the ability to
> mirror the root filesystem.  I don't know if this addresses the issue
> you are concerned about, but I personally find it very interesting.

Do you have any pointers to such information (ideally, something like a
"how-to")?

I do know that Greg Lehey has been investigating such functionality...

Thanks,

cno

> >           For some applications this may not be terribly important, but if
> >  you cannot afford to bring the machine down, the hardware solution starts
> >  to look better.
>
>         I must admit that hardware does have certain advantages, but it
> does require driver support from the OS (unless it's an external
> SCSI-SCSI model), and I believe that the primary things you gain with
> hardware RAID controllers is not performance but instead other
> advantages, including transparency to the OS, etc....
>
>         If what you're after is absolute maximum speed for minimum money,
> hardware is not the way to go.
>
> --
>    These are my opinions -- not to be taken as official Skynet policy
> Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV

  Charles N. Owens                               Email: owensc@enc.edu
                                            http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx