Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 16:46:05 +1000 (EST)
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        shonson@planetquake.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ICQ

Thanks for the info Steven

My system uses "real" IP addesses so I don't have to run NAT,
however that shouldn't make and difference to ICQ ..... and because of
particular requirements here I use ppp -ddial but again that shouldn't
cause problems

>I use ICQ behind a FreeBSD gateway which is running NAT without any
>problems what so ever, my gateway is just a freebsd 3.2 machine running ppp with the -alias switch, and both me and my sister use icq on different windows machines on the LAN at the same time with no problems.
>My ICQ client is set to the "Im using a permenant Internet Connection
>(LAN)" option and "I am not behind a Firewall of Proxy" is selected.
>If you have any more questions or need  help setting it up feel free to
>contact me.

Thanks ....... I've tried same settings as yours and the only response I get from ICQ is "unable to connect" . I've been told by someone who knows a lot more about this stuff than I do  (and mailing list postings tend to confirm the idea ) that I need to run SOCKS on my BSD gateway box .... but maybe not if I put a CLI version on the BSD gateway box and use that when I need ICQ. I don't need anything real tricky ..... just the ability to send messages and maybe occasional chat would suffice