Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:13:52 -0600
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@airnet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to access a device under UN*X?

Granted this isn't the usual question, but I've drawn a blank as to the
proper way that I'm supposed to access a device (parallel port or serial
port) under UN*X. I get the feeling I am supposed to get a file
descriptor and ioctl the rest. I would like to know how to do the raw as
well as "standard" (for serial I/O) communications, if there is any
difference. Also, is it generally bad to attempt assembly under FreeBSD,
or is there some special way to go about it? I am running 3.0-RELEASE
and have other machines on 2.2.5-RELEASE and 2.2.7-RELEASE. I doubt that
will make much difference except for ELF.
--
Kris Kirby
UAH Mail <kirbyk@email.uah.edu> UAH CS <kkirby@cs.uah.edu>