Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:03:18 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1019916203.2a5fc3@mired.org>
To:        Fictif <fitctif@mysticjah.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ML <FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports dealing with non-root users suggestion

In <20020422124051.A79219@mysticjah.org>, Fictif <fitctif@mysticjah.org> typed:
> The idea is to allow normal users to use the ports dir to install apps.
> I think it's an interesting idea to allow users to keep a clean home dir
> and this would allow the Admin to know what apps users are using... Then
> a script could link the existing apps existing on different users
> account toward a same location (btw,just in case the app was not
> installed by the Admin).
>
> Here is the idea which implies many features and requirements (like
> a dir for 'users ports' -needed for various libs, shared docs or
> logs files- which doesn't depend on the usual dirs). I don't see
> bigs troubles implied by this way of installing apps but you
> propably do (That's why I'm posting).

Ok, to answer the implied question, the problem here is that you can't
blindly install new ports. Doing that is liable to break old
ports. For instance, if someone installs enscript-letter, that will be
hosed if someone later installs enscript-a4 or
enscript-letterdj. Ditto for various things like pth and pth-devel.

You can solve this, since you're apparently going to be working on the
ports software anyway. You need to add a check to verify that no
software is going to overwrite other software, and provide way to
override that for root.

	<mike