Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 96 20:57:12 -0800
From:      Adam Alexander <ALEX@KINGSHURST.AC.UK>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard Disk Utilities ?

Hello,

My name is Adam Alexander, and I am an Information Technology Support
Analyst at:-  The City Technology College
              PO Box 1017
              Cooks Lane
              Kingshurst
              Birmingham
              England, UK

The college caters for students from 11-18 years of age.  The problem we
have is that the computers we have not only work off a network, but also
have some packages that can be used stand-alone as well.

Do you know of a hard-disk utility that restricts (or even
write-protects) the hard drive from being written to, thus leaving all
the system files unaltered.  The utility must be easy to disable
(password maybe) so that if us technicians have to do any work, we do not
have to climb a mountain ourselves to write to the hard drive.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Best Regards
Adam Alexander