Date:      Thu, 22 May 2014 11:09:16 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <jean-sebastien.pedron@dumbbell.fr>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vt panic at startup, hd4650/hd6950

--BIPxNse5uKJsklUaP4AMeunL8UG5PGhBt

On 14.05.2014 06:55, Matt wrote:
> I've been seeing odd behavior with vt. At first I suspected my video
> hardware, hence the great delay.
> I use slim to start X at boot. After a hard power off, or at random, my=

> computer will boot twice or more times, panicking and rebooting when X
> loads. Trace is pretty quick, but I believe it's mostly supervisor read=

> page not present. I recently got a different radeon, hd6950, and it
> still behaves similarly. Usually, the second boot is fine, but not
> always. Maybe uninitialized memory or something like that? Conflict
> between xf86-video-ati and vt? Does this sound familiar/known to anyone=
?

I never heard of this. Could you please try to get a kernel core dump?

How to configure kernel core dumps is described in the Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug.html#=
kerneldebug-obtain

Additionally, I usually add the following sysctl, so that kernel dumps
work when running X.Org too:
debug.debugger_on_panic=3D0

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron