Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2002 08:32:25 -0800
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   first install

I just moved from linux to freebsd and I'm really pleased with what I
see so far. Things seem to load and execute much faster in freebsd and I
like what I've seen with the freebsd website and the user community.

I've gotten the install pretty well configured and it wasn't that hard.
Actually, it's quite a bit easier than the last slacware install I did.
I'm using the 4.5 release.

The most confusing area has been the terminal. My consoe display had
no color/strange color but then I put term=xterm-color in my
~/.Xdefaults file and I have color. Still color doesn't display properly
in mutt, I'm using the same muttrc I used in Redhat and Slackware. I
have had to remove all the color entries in my muttrc to get it to
display properly. Soon I will download another muttrc and configure it
with my settings and see if that helps with color.

It's my understanding that freebsd 4.5 only supports scsi emulation with
a limited number of cdrw's, my tdk velocd not being one. I don't relish
the idea of having to buy a scsi cd burner and removing my current cdrom
to install it, but probably will do that if I keep using freebsd. I like
the xcdroast program and would like to use it.

Other than the terminal problem and the scsi-emulation/xcdburner, I
think freebsd is *better..no flame wars intended* than what I've
experienced with linux.

dale