Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 09:10:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        metcalf@snet.net
Subject:   Checking FreeBSD disk for errors

     Hello,

     I am writing to ask if there is a FreeBSD command for checking
     hard drives for errors (IDE and SCSI).  I am aware of fsck,
     but that is, of course, only for checking for file system errors.
     I am looking to check a hard drive for bad blocks and other
     physical problems.  I was able to make this kind of check with
     Micrsoft's SCANDISK on all my DOS partitions prior to the
     installation of FreeBSD, but what about errors that may have
     arisen since then?  I would like to know how reliable my
     hard drives are currently.

     Thank You,

     J. Metcalf