Date:      Sat, 01 Jul 2000 09:55:03 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: invlpg produces strange sig11 on PentiumPro box

In message <200007010750.AAA02229@mass.osd.bsdi.com>, Mike Smith writes:
>> In message <20000701012941S.kato@gneiss.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>, KATO Takenori writ
>> es:
>> >The invlpg instruction causes strange signal 11 problem on some
>> >PentiumPro box.  This problem seems to hapen when (1) mother board is
>> >very old and (2) BIOS update is not available and (3) cpuid < 0x619.
>> >
>> >Following patch automatically disables invlpg when PentiumPro with
>> >cpuid < 0x619 is found.
>> >
>> >Please comment to this patch.
>>
>> I'm against this patch.  This is so specific and marginal to a
>> out-of-spec hardware configuration, that it should not be put in
>> the FreeBSD tree.
>
>I'd disagree with that.  This is just the same as the 0xf00f workaround,
>saving only in degree.  If it's something that can be done as eg. a KLD
>we might want to do that instead, or through some other mechanism for
>handling these sort of CPU quirks.

Please Mike, just because you see my name you shouldn't take a contrary
positition until you have actually looked into matters.

Look at the first paragraph:  This is for Pentium Pro cpus running
in motherboards where the BIOS does not contain the needed microcode
updates.

The patch disables invlpg on all cpuid's < 0x619, despite the fact
that they work just fine if your motherboards BIOS have the right
microcode update for your cpu stepping.

This hack should be maintained by the person who need it, it should
not be lobotomizing FreeBSD in general.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe