Date:      Sun, 3 Apr 2011 16:07:37 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net>
Cc:        "mips@freebsd.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Toiling away on booting the new blades

On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Andrew Duane wrote:

> I've made real progress on getting our Octeon blades to boot with the =
other bootstraps. After learning all about the app_descriptors and the =
octeon_bootinfo structures, I've decided on a slightly more  modular =
approach. Rather than faking out the code by hand-crafting these =
structures, I've decided to teach the Octeon startup code how decode a =
standard MIPS bootinfo structure. FreeBSD already has this defined, and =
I can make it do pretty much everything I want. It's also completely =
deterministic as to which structure you have in "a3" based on the other =
registers.
>=20
> It turns out this is pretty simple. I added a parallel routine to =
octeon_process_app_desc_ver_6 to parse a bootinfo and call =
cvmx_sysinfo_minimal_initialize with the info I get from it. Very clean =
and tidy, and minimal disruption. After that, everything else "just =
works". I even found a routine to craft a phy_mem_desc structure, but it =
doesn't look like I need it.
>=20
> Since the MIPS bootinfo structure is already part of FreeBSD, is this =
code in the startup path something you'd be interested in taking in?

I think I'd be interested.  I think this is a decent path to explore, =
but would need to see code before committing :)

Warner