Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 15:10:04 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        "Radu M. =?iso-8859-1?b?T2JhZOM=?=" <whizkid@xnet.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP again or going back to Linux

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Radu M. Obadã wrote:

> Hi,
> I have recently (that is yseterday) posted my PPP problem. Someone was
> kind enough to answer and requested my ppp.conf and ppp.log. I posted
> them, too. I just want to know if there is really someone who can
> help... I know this sounds desperate, but that's how I really feel.
> Beleive me, I don't want to switch back to linux - FreeBSD seems so
> nice.
> Anyhow, please let me know of any ideas you might have.

Hey Radu.  When I swithced from Linux to FreeBSD I more or less
transfered the settings direct to the machine.  I see you are using tun.
I used pppd just like on Linux and it worked fine - or at least I was
able to get it working.  The only problem I found was that FreeBSD logs
differnlty to Linux and seems to log a lot less, so it was quite hard to
see what was going on.  Let me look at my firewall to see what I used to
do (got a cable-modem now :-)).

This was my /etc/options:
modem
crtscts
asyncmap 0
defaultroute
lock
idle 300
noauth

This was my chap-secrets:
myaccount.freeserve.co.uk * mypass *
myotheraccount  *       mypass2  *

My pap-secrets was sym-linked to chap-secrets (probably you shouldn't do
that, but what the hell.

My two pppd scripts (for my two diferent ISPs) were:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cuaa1 115200 user palfre connect "/usr/bin/chat -v \
'' AT OK ATM0 OK ATD08440416662 CONNECT '\d\c'"

and:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cuaa1 115200 user sendmail.freeserve.co.uk connect \
"/usr/bin /chat -v '' AT OK ATM0 OK ATD08450796699 CONNECT '\d\c'"

IIRC that was exactly as it had been on Linux, except that #!/bin/bash
became #!/bin/sh

--
Bill.