Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:30:15 -0400
From:      Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans@razorfish.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using one FreeBSD box as router/firewall/vpn

We are going to attempt to build a box that will serve as our router,
firewall, and VPN/IPSec machine.  Right now, we are still up in the air as to
whether we are going to use FreeBSD or Linux so I was wondering what kind of
experience people have doing such things and whether we are crazy to try to
combine all of these functions into one box.

The router will use two Sangoma WANpipe T1 CSU/DSU cards connecting to two T1s
using BGP routing.

The firewall will use the kernel firewalling (either FBSD or Linux).

The VPN, will use IPSec (FreeS/WAN or one of the FBSD implementations).

-Hans

 |    ||   |||  ||         r a z o r f i s h , inc.

 hans-christoph steiner
 	[ network systems manager  ]