Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 2001 09:19:03 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>
Cc:        bmah@freebsd.org, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Package signing tools

"Michael C . Wu" wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 10:54:58AM -0700, Wes Peters scribbled:
> | Oh, I see.  What we really need is a PGP library, which I think GPG was
> | supposed to provide someday.  Having a non-GPL PGP library would sure be
> | nice.
>
> Yes and yes
>
> I also think that we should have a default signing scheme.
> Personally, I like X.509.   It does not really matter which one, just pick
> it yourself to avoid the bikeshed.

X.509 has the added benefit of not requiring an external executable like
PGP does.  I'm astonished nobody has created a PGP library yet, so other
programs could do PGP signing and verification without calling another
program.

> | It's major output is a "yes" or "no" answer.  Keep in mind this only works
> | on the .tgz file, not on the package after installed on the system.  It
> | would be simple to extend pkg_info or pkg_version to report if a .tgz has a
> | signature and if so, if it matches, by the return value from pkg_check.  I'm
> | not certain the return values are maintained that carefully right now, but
> | I'll look through the code and make it return 0 for "has signature, is
> | verified", negative for "has signature, not verified" and positive for "no
> | signature".  Would that suffice?
>
> Yes, and we also need to modify 'pkg_version -c'.  So that, instead of
> compiling the ports, we can have 'pkg_version -c' fetch the packages
> instead, along with verifying the signature of the .tgz's.
> This way, the user can simply do "sh `pkg_version -c`", get the packages,
> update his entire installation, and so forth via one command.

Ah, yes.  That should be simple enough to do, and transparent.  If pkg_check
doesn't exist, don't call it; if it does exist, call it and check the return
value.

As I wrote before, I'll need to audit the code to make sure pkg_check returns
consistent values to signal "no signature", "has signature, didn't match", and
"has signature, did match."