Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:55:37 +1100
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        Frank Bartels <knarf@camelot.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NODESCRYPTLINKS=true

Frank Bartels wrote:

> Heya all,
>
> we still use DES passwords on our system. If I do a make world
> (4.2-STABLE), the libcrypt links in /usr/lib are replaced by ones
> to libscript.  I found NODESCRYPTLINKS=true in /etc/defaults/make.conf
> and have put it into /etc/make.conf. But the links still get
> replaced.
>
> The bad thing is, I cannot login after a reboot. I _think_ libscrypt
> was able to detect des/md5 passwords in 3.x and logins were still
> possible.
>
> Is there a complete documentation about libcrypt, libscrypt,
> libdescrypt, passwd_format=des and the upgrading procedure from
> 3.x to 4.x?

Hmmm, did you cvsup and install the crypto dists? They used to be
export restricted until recently so if you have an old sup file
it probably dosent get them...

If the crypto dist is installed the default password scheme used
is DES, but the system should be able to understand both DES and
MD5 passwords...

/usr/src/UPDATING is a good place to find out about the procedure...