Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:13:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Andrew Kinney <andykinney@advantagecom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: increasing KVA_PAGES and broken pthreads

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Andrew Kinney wrote:

> On 14 Mar 2003, at 16:08, Julian Elischer wrote:
>

> > That patch is in the RELENG_4 tree and will be included in 4.8
> >

> Great!  Thanks for the info.
>

> > yes it was.. but not in RELENG_4_7 because that is for security
> > patches.
> >

> I'm showing my newbieness here.  :-)  Apologies.  I knew that, but
> for some reason it didn't occur to me that patches such as this
> would only occur on the development branches.
>

> > 4.7 is being left behind.. look at 4.8
> >

> I guess I'll just wait for 4.8 to reach "RELEASE" level then and
> work on reducing the workload of the system in the meantime,
> though the hardware is nowhere near overloaded.  I wish I could
> track CURRENT, but I'm squeamish about that for a production
> system such as this.

look at RELENG_4 "NOW" because that will become 4.8.
if you have problems with it  then now is the time ot speak up before
4.8 is frozen in stone.

> > > IMHO, this issue could be a royal pain in the butt when I start
> > > working on quad processor systems with 32GB of RAM (not unrealistic
> > > at this company).
> >
> > Well we can't USE 32GB od RAM yet.. I doubt that 4.x will ever be able
> > to do that (though I could be proven wrong).
> >

> Really?  I was under the impression that FreeBSD was capable of
> addressing 8TB of RAM if the hardware supports it.

On a ia64 machine I think (which i386 is not)

>  Don't
> remember which FreeBSD list archive I read that in, but it's not a
> topic that seems to come up often since most hardware is limited
> to 4GB of address space.  I've got access to hardware that can
> address 32GB of RAM.  Not sure of the exact details of how it
> works (multiple external memory managers?), but it's a quad Xeon
> board by SuperMicro.
>
> If it's a question of "is there any application that can ever use that
> much RAM", we're certainly testing the limits here. :-)  We're not
> swapping at all with 4GB, but on several occasions we've gotten
> close or swapped a few hundred KB.  Our two little 2GHz CPUs
> are humming right along, but most of the time they're better than
> 60% idle.  I imagine that if we pushed the CPUs a bit harder or got
> hit with a big traffic spike, we'd probably start swapping and want to
> start thinking about a system that can handle more RAM.

There is a possibility that it could be done but not right now..
There are other things that are higher on the lists.