Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2013 09:28:55 -0400
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port Build options

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net> wrote:

> Sam and list, sorry for the top post. That goes with using a mobile device
> for email.
>
> I like FreeBSD a lot and would like to get KDE4 working with it, but I may
> try PC-BSD.  I went back to 8.4 and used sysinstall to install KDE4 and it
> mostly works the way I expect. The one thing that doesn't work the way I
> expected it when you change consoles and then try to go back to the root
> console using ctrl alt f1. One finds the console has moved either to f8 or
> f9. I guess the other problems I have are best asked on the kde list.

Stan,
if that is your only problem, that is a KNOWN issue, and it exists in
PC-BSD as well.. it has to do with KMS/GEM there are many posts talking
about it on various FreeBSD mailing lists..
there is no fix for this currently, and it explains why FreeBSD 8.4 works
for you... becasue I don't think KMS was backported to FreeBSD 8.x
my question for you now is, do you NEED KMS/GEM support? what type of video
device do you have?

Xorg has a new option for make.conf WITH_NEW_XORG=

--

Sam Fourman Jr.