Date:      Mon, 08 Feb 1999 23:48:49 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        wghicks@bellsouth.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
> > Make sysinstall be able to pkg_add?  We do something similar to that
>
> And just WHERE is the package??  Often on an NFS or FTP server, no??
> And just HOW am I to communicate with that NFS or FTP server??

Sorry.  It's got to go somewhere offline.  If not in the crunched /stand
I'd guess it could live on the mfsroot floppy as an archive.

I agree that DHCP is very important to have *somewhere* easy to use
for both pre- and post- install purposes.

We've produced a deviant PicoBSD that uses a different scheme for
and uses shared libraries for greater flexibility.

Of course, the price you pay is the static memory footprint required.

As Jordan has mentioned, what we really need is a new dynamically
sizable memory filesystem.  I see that Eivind is doing something
with getting NULLFS fixed.  This is probably a very good step toward
a more flexible setup environment.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net