Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:30:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        patrick@cre8tivegroup.com (Patrick Gardella)
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP and X ?!?

In a previous message, Patrick Gardella said:

> >I had the opposite problem, but maybe it's the same sort of thing.
> >Mine turned out to be the machine was trying to do dns resolution and
> >was timing out without the interface up. Is hosts before dns in your
> >/etc/host.conf file? A good way to see what's happening is to run tcpdump on
> >tun0 while you try to bring up X. Then you can see what's happening on
> >the interface.
> >
> >Also check /etc/X0.hosts. and .xsession.errors in your home directory.
>
> Hosts is before dns in /etc/host.conf.

Ok. Is your name server on the other side of your ppp connection?

> xsession-errors does not have anything unusual in it.  (I'm missing "rock"
> when I use xlockmore.)
>
> I don't have an /etc/X0.hosts.  Should I?

Probably not. X0.hosts sets what machines are allowed by default to
connect you your Xserver. This was what my problem was. It was trying to
resolve a bunch of machines in this file.

> For that matter, why does X do a dns resolution when it starts?  All it starts
> is a xterm and afterstep.

Normally, it probably won't.

> How can I see a tcpdump when I startx?  I type startx, get a screen of text from
> XF86Config, and then it freezes.  Can't switch consoles, etc.

Outta luck. Sorry. Unless you can bring up a terminal on a serial port
or telnet in from somewhere else. Maybe, you can set the c option to
collect 1000 packets or something and the -r option to send it to a
file. And hope it's there after you reboot.

--
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about,
and that is not being talked about.        Oscar Wilde