Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:42:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

According to Bruce Evans:
> >> It should be self-consistant, moving towards ANSI by 3.0.
> >
> >And unless you do each file *completely* during the transition, you
> >can't have both at once.  That is the essence of the argument going on
> >now.  If you do it half-assed, self-consistancy goes out the window.
>
> And if you do it full-assed, then the usefulness of `cvs diff' and
> `cvs -j' goes out the window.  If you disagree, try merging some Lite2
> code into gratuitously changed code, and then verifying that the merge
> is correct.  ffs_vfsops.c is a good place to start - it is missing
> important Lite2 security-related code for mount().

Really, that's so much hard work anyway. Ok, I'm not for making it harder,
doesn't a cdiff program (or option to diff) seem more sane? One that parses
the c code, and ignores inserted/removed empty lines, tabs, spaces, and
comments (possibly changeable with an option so you could get the comment
changes only), etc? I've been missing such a program for ages. It's a real
pain to find real changes in huge amounts of "noice" that accumulates over
time in c files, as you accidently delete a tab, and replace it with spaces,
and so on.

Isn't there such a program out there? If not, doesn't anyone think it's a
nice idea? It shouldn't be that hard to write. I'd wriet it myself, but I
seem to never get anywhere with my projects. If I had the time.. *sigh*

  /Mikael