Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:34:35 -0500
From:      "J Ramos" <jramos2@nc.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions with configuring multiple NIC's

 Chuck,
 That's odd. I went through the same procedure i went through last time,
which was:

 # kldload sis.ko
 # kldload if_sis.ko
 # ifconfig sis0 inet 192.168.1.102 netmask 255.255.255.0
 # netstat -rn ( at that time, there was no default route)
 # /etc/netstart ( added default route as part of the script)

 Now, I can ping off the local network by name, so evidently it's working. I
 have no idea why it wouldn't work before. More than likely in the fumbling
 in the dark attempt I was making, I managed to screw something up, go
 figure. Shutting down sis0, loading the modules for one of my wireless
 cards, and working through configuration also yields positive results.

 I'm still going to give dhclient a shot. Planning on doing some travelling
 in the near future, and most network access on the road is going to be
DHCP,
 I would imagine.

 Fabian,
 Thanks for your suggestions, as well. I could ping by IP, just not off the
 local network. I thought that I had established a default route, I'm almost
 certain, but I guess I was wrong. All seems to be working now, though.

 Thanks again,
 Josh