Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 2015 07:49:58 -0453.75
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Follow-up install questions

Pursuant to ongoing issues trying to install FreeBSD 9.3R on my Myth-TV
box, I have some questions about provisioning another box, also w/ 9.3R.
That box is AMD A-10 APU based, w/ 8X 1 TB 2.5" HDD's. Given the
problems I am having getting the (smaller, simpler box) going. I am
pondering using ZFS on the larger box. To that end, I have a couple of
questions. ZFS supports (man page) 'unmirrored pools'. Is that
tantamount to striped RAID ? If so, what sort of I/O performance can I
look for there ? There was a lengthy thread a few weeks ago on ZFS &
performance. I (think I) recall someone saying they used a bunch of
1-HDD vdevs to get some semblance of good I/O performance w/ a RAIDZn
configuration, is that (additional layer of config) actually required ?
My man page says vdev's can be single devices or 'a collection of
devices', with devices being disks (individual HDD's ?), files, mirrors,
or raidz's. Are those mirrors necessarily ZFS mirrors, or can they be
gmirrors ? I am interested in maximizing the size of the storage pool
available, & the best I/O performance I can get. This box will be backed
up across the LAN onto other boxen, so I am worrying less about HDD
reliability & more about performance & max available GiB's/TiB's. TIA &
have a good one.

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."