Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/39796: Making ports fails behind ftp proxy without setenv

The following reply was made to PR docs/39796; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: jonathan-dot-laventhol@imagination.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 15:23:16 +0100

 On Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:05:02 PDT, Jonathan Laventhol said:

 >Add a paragraph to the manual at
 >http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-using.html#PORTS-INET
 >
 >"The ports mechanism uses fetch(1) which can use web and FTP proxies
 >if you set appropriate environment variables, as documented in fetch(3).
 >For example using root's default csh(1), you do
 >  setenv FTP_PROXY ftp://myproxy.mycompany.co.uk"
 >
 >NB: If you're not using csh environment variables are set differently.
 >If you don't have fetch(1) then the Makefile uses ftp(1) which uses
 >different environment variables.  This is probably a subject for
 >the page http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports-trouble.html

 You may want to add a para about adding these settings to /etc/make.conf
 as well in that case (FETCH_ENV, documented in /etc/defaults/make.conf).
 This makes it permanent for the system in a sensible way...

 If someone thinks it's appropriate to add to the handbook, I'll
 sgml-ize it later... although it may be more appropriate full-stop
 to just add it to the ports-trouble section?

 --
 	Niall