Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 05:05:38 +0000
From:      "Kristin Guttormsen" <prince_of_wands@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Home network design

I have been playing around with different configurations for my home network
for some time and while I have learned much of the specifics, I remain
dissatisfied with my general concepts.  I hope someone can offer some
clarity to my designs, and then I should be able to solve the specifics (I
hope) with time and study.

I have a cable connection through ATTBI (1-5 dynamic IP's available at
$5/month a piece after the first, no truly static IP's).

I have three registered domains (mynet1.net, mynet2.net, mynet3.net) and can
work out dynamic dns using available free resources.

I have 4 user pc's (win98se, nt4 workstation, win2k, winxp mix) that need
constant connection, a networked ps2 (needed as I'm a beta tester), an
occasionally laptop connection needed (win2k or xp), and I'd like to be able
to let 1-5 people drop in whenever for lan parties.  I also have 4 constant
servers built (2 freebsd, 1 will be sol linux when it arrives, 1 linux of
oft changing flavor), and I also have one borrowed server which I'm
currently using for my Novell training which may eventually join the network
(undecided yet).

Network hardware currently available: 5 port switch, router w/ 4 port
switch, 4 port hub, and I'm picking up an 8 port switch next week sometime.

I have 2 public websites to host and one which I use purely for testing and
fun.  I have had ftp, irc, mail (only for my private domain, not the two
others), nntp, and a game server running publicly.  I have remote storage (a
private fileserver for friends (mostly mp3 and video)) and a mysql server
which are not for public use but which DO need to be fully accessible from
any location (as well as desiring remote network management just for showing
off).

I'd like to be moderately secure, although I'm not talking about fortune 500
class sensitive material.  If nothing else, I'm doing all this to broaden my
skills and experience and have a little fun.

Where I start to break down is deciding what to do as far as how many ip's
to get and where to assign them.  Do I build a full DMZ, or use a 3rd nic
DMZ out of a firewall gateway, or just lump them altogether?    Should I run
the servers each with the public IP's and share the private systems behind
NAT, or the other way around, or should everything use NAT behind a single
or maybe two public IP's?  So far I've compiled about 11 different network
designs but don't have enough knowledge to know the pro's and cons each
would present.  Can anyone suggest an appropriate physical layout and
address scheme (and if anyone is feeling REALLY helpful how they would break
down the application load across the different machines (ie what services
would play together nicely residing on the same server)?