Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 17:37:18 -0700
From:      "Michael W. Collette" <metrol@metrol.net>
Subject:   Thinkpad T23 Coming Out of Sleep

Running into a very intermittent problem here with my otherwise perfectly
working laptop.  When bringing it out of sleep mode, the system locks, hangs
for about 30-50 seconds, then commences with a reboot all by itself.

The REALLY annoying thing about this is that it is extremely intermittent.  I
can't quite seem to lock down what is causing the problem.  80-90% of the
time it comes out of sleep mode perfectly okay.  No messages worth noting in
the "messages" log either.

APM support is compiled into the kernel, as well as the unsecure spigot
option.  I have pretty much every single clever bit in the bios setup turned
off concerning power save.  At present, I can only put this into sleep mode
by pressing Fn-F4.  I can take it out either by pressing the Fn key, or
opening the lid.  I have seen this problem repeat by doing either.

From the looks of it, something isn't waking up as fast as the kernel would
like it to, something panics and the system reboots.  Pure guesswork, as I
have not yet seen any logs that would indicate where the problem may be.

This is a IBM Thinkpad T23 with a pretty darn recent STABLE build installed.
It's been doing this for a while, so I don't believe the build version
matters at this point.

Has anyone else seen this glitch?  Any ideas on how I might go about tracking
down what is happening?  I've been suffering from some data corruption due to
this, and I'm really interested in doing whatever it takes to get this
resolved.  Need a starting point!

Thanks,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark
to read."