Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:34:04 +0100
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wine users ... unite!  (Wine, as in Windows Emulation, of course)

--=-xEXXxzq8CuyXzxdzi3BI

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 11:15 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>=20
>=20
> Over the past few weeks, a group of have been plugging away in relative=20
> obscurity to fix the world .. or, at least, the world as revolves around =
WINE.=20
> We have a few kernel hackers involved, some members of the wine group, so=
me=20
> members of PC-BSD, and at least one DragonflyBSD developer ... a truly ro=
unded=20
> group.
>=20
> In order to avoid having this all mixed in, and lost, with other software=
=20
> discussions, the work is happening on a private list, but if anyone feels=
 that=20
> they can contribute *programming knowledge* to the effort, email me and I=
'll=20
> add you to the list ... we aren't looking for testers on this list, see b=
elow=20
> about that ...
>=20
> To the real reason for this post, we have been slowly making headway ...
>=20
> If you go to:
>=20
>        <http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine>;
>=20
> You will find several patches, both against FreeBSD and wine, that get th=
e=20
> latest wine working under both 7.x and 6.x ... under 6.x, the only 'gotch=
a' is=20
> don't apply the signal patch yet, as it does break things ...
>=20
> For testing, Tijl is running 7.x and I am running 6.x ... in my case, wit=
h all=20
> patches applied, except the signal patch, I can get Freecell running ... =
in his=20
> case, with all patches applied, he can get MT4 running (MT4 is an online=20
> financial trading piece of software) ...
>=20
> For those that are interested in Wine, and are going to test the above pa=
tches,=20
> please subscribe to freebsd-wine-users@hub.org by sending a message to=20
> freebsd-wine-users-subscribe@hub.org ... it will also let us gauge how=20
> big/small the 'wine users'  population happens to be ...
>=20

I wasn't aware there was such a big problem with Wine + FreeBSD - is it
just chance that I've experienced absolutely no errors at all running
Lotus Notes R5 with wine from ports?

FreeBSD zoot.mintel.co.uk 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #1: Tue Jun  5
14:39:27 BST 2007     root@zoot.mintel.co.uk:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZOOT
i386

$ wine --version
wine-0.9.36